Thursday, November 12, 2009

New shoes... sort of.

So I have been loooonging for new shoes and just haven't had the scratch to buy them. I have been trying to be more inventive with my existing wardrobe and since I can't find in my expansive craft stash a way to MAKE shoes I started looking at my old shoes in a new way.

All of my shoes I bought because at one time or another I loved them and HAD to have them :) but I had either worn them out or they had fallen out of my regular rotation at some point or another for some reason or another…

So what's a savvy girl to do? Why, take your old pair of gently "loved" shoes and make them new again with a quick coat of paint, of course!

And so all you poor, I mean crafty, girls can do the same, I thought I would post a how to!

Here goes!

First things first…

Supplies:

- Acrylic paint in the color you desire. If you can't find the right one mix it up!
- A small paint brush. I used a flat one to get a better edge.
- Sand paper. I used 220 grit
- Masking tape or a very steady hand
- Mod Podge
- And shoes of course!

These are all things every girl should keep on hand.

First you need to scuff up your shoes a little just so the paint will stick. If you don't (like I did) the paint will rub off on your tights (or toes) in the places you missed. Don't over do it though. You just want to change the color, not the texture. That's why you should use a really fine grit sand paper.

Next put masking tape around the parts you don’t want to be painted. Like the heel or a buckle. Or, if you have a very steady hand just skip to the next step. I recommend tape though.

Paint! Allow to dry and then do a second coat if necessary. No need to sand between coats.

Apply one very thin coat of Mod Podge and allow to dry and then another. A third for good measure and ultra shiny protection. Please, I know it's really tempting once you get to this point to stick your little tootsies in your shiny new shoes, but try to resist until they're dry. :D





Now you have a wonderful new pair of shoes that no one else on the planet has! I hope you enjoyed my first tutorial!

No comments:

Post a Comment