Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Dress Exchange!

I know I have talked a lot about how I am broke, but I know that there are people out there that are even less fortunate than me. So I want to reach out to them.

I have long thought about helping young girls that don't have money to go out and buy a new prom dress to find an inexpensive alternative. My idea was that I would go out with a girl or two to thrift a dress and refashion it into a one of a kind dress made especially for that one girl for just the cost of materials. This has its limitations because of course it was just me, myself and I. Also, I have so much on my plate most days that this has never come near happening.
[prommafia.com]

Until... my friend in another town has come up with a similar idea where girls can "borrow" a dress from our Dress Exchange! For a 20$ deposit a girl can take a dress from a collection of donated dresses and wear it to Prom. When they return the dress dry cleaned with a receipt, they will get part of their deposit back.

Her original idea was that we could take the dresses in or let them out so as to fit each girl, but if you have ever altered a dress you know... that poses its own difficulties, especially when it would have to be done more than once (cringe) So I suggested that dresses that girls were set on wearing that needed to be altered could be bought outright and alterations be made so as not to damage the structural integrity of the dress by taking in and out the seams to fit each girl.

I'm so excited that an idea I had could be altered (haha) and be enacted and made into something bigger and better than I ever imagined. I'm looking forward to seeing how this unfolds... I'll keep you posted![promgowndress.com]

P.s. when I find them I will post some of my own Prom pictures, just for a laugh...

No comments:

Post a Comment